(LEAD) Defense ministry to push for reinstating no-fly zone near border with N. Korea without affecting military readiness

General / 김현수 / 2026-02-19 16:43:51
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • kakao
  • naver
  • band
(LEAD) defense ministry-military pact
▲ Defense ministry spokesperson Chung Binna speaks during a regular press briefing, in this file photo from Dec. 16, 2025. (Yonhap)

(LEAD) defense ministry-military pact

(LEAD) Defense ministry to push for reinstating no-fly zone near border with N. Korea without affecting military readiness

(ATTN: ADDS more details in paras 6-9)

SEOUL, Feb. 19 (Yonhap) -- The defense ministry said Thursday it will push for reinstating a no-fly zone under the suspended 2018 inter-Korean military pact in a way that does not affect a military readiness posture.

The ministry also said it is in consultations with the United States over Seoul's push to partially restore the military pact, a day after Unification Minister Chung Dong-young disclosed the plan as part of efforts to prevent a recurrence of drone incursions into North Korea.

Chung said Wednesday the government will "preemptively" seek to reinstate the inter-Korean military pact signed in September 2018 under former liberal President Moon Jae-in as part of efforts to prevent unintended military clashes along the tensely fortified border.

"The defense ministry is in discussions with relevant ministries and the U.S. to review partially restoring the (military) pact, including designating a no-fly zone," ministry spokesperson Chung Binna said during a regular briefing.

"Our military plans to come up with supplementary measures to ensure the military's readiness posture is not affected," she said when asked about concerns over weakened surveillance against the North if the no-fly zone is reinstated on the South's side only.

The reinstatement of the no-fly zone, which prohibits the operation of planes and drones within 15 kilometers of the Demilitarized Zone in eastern areas and 10 km in western parts, could greatly hinder Seoul's surveillance operations against the North, critics say.

Asked whether the RQ-4 Global Hawks or a satellite could replace the surveillance capabilities of the South Korean military's unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) did not elaborate.

"Our military was currently reviewing relevant information," JCS spokesperson Capt. Jang Do-young told a press briefing.

South Korea's division and corps-level units resumed surveillance operations against the North using drones after the 2018 military pact was halted in June 2024 during the previous Yoon Suk Yeol administration.

The conservative government of former President Yoon halted the pact in its entirety in 2024, citing North Korea's trash-carrying balloon campaigns. North Korea scrapped the agreement in 2023 in a tit-for-tat move against South Korea's partial suspension of the deal over the North's launch of a military spy satellite in November of that year.

Since taking office in June last year, President Lee Jae Myung has vowed to restore the inter-Korean military pact in an effort to mend ties with Pyongyang.

Unification Minister Chung's remarks came after he expressed regret earlier this month over drones sent into North Korea by South Korean civilians, which the North denounced as a violation of its sovereignty.

North Korea has repeatedly demanded South Korea come up with steps to prevent a recurrence of drone incursions, accusing Seoul of sending drones equipped with surveillance equipment in September and on Jan. 4, prompting the South Korean government to launch an official investigation.

In a statement issued Thursday, Kim Yo-jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, said she "highly appreciates" South Korea's pledge to prevent a recurrence of drone incursions into the North while vowing to step up the country's vigilance along the border with the South.

(END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • kakao
  • pinterest
  • naver
  • band