S. Korea, Iran continue 'close, serious' discussions regarding recent vessel attack: foreign ministry

S Korea-Iran-Hormuz vessel

오석민

| 2026-05-19 16:56:18

▲ This file photo, released by the foreign ministry on May 10, 2026, shows the scorched interior of a South Korean-operated vessel, the Panama-flagged cargo vessel Namu, operated by South Korean shipping firm HMM Co. South Korea has concluded that a strike by "unidentified airborne objects" caused the explosion and fire aboard the vessel in the Strait of Hormuz last week. (Yonhap)

S Korea-Iran-Hormuz vessel

S. Korea, Iran continue 'close, serious' discussions regarding recent vessel attack: foreign ministry

SEOUL, May 19 (Yonhap) -- South Korea and Iran continue to hold close and serious consultations regarding a recent attack on a South Korean-operated vessel in the Strait of Hormuz, Seoul's foreign ministry said Tuesday, vowing to take "necessary measures" once the results of an ongoing investigation become available.

A government investigation team earlier concluded that two unidentified flying objects struck the HMM Namu on May 4, causing an explosion and fire aboard the vessel. Additional analysis of engine debris recovered from the objects is under way to identify the objects and those responsible for the incident.

"We are engaged in very close and serious discussions with the Iranian side regarding the HMM Namu incident. If additional findings are available, we will continue necessary communication and take appropriate measures, including providing explanations to the Iranian side," Foreign Ministry spokesperson Park Il said at a press briefing.

"Our top priority is ensuring the safety and freedom of navigation of our vessels and crew members in the region, and we are pursuing diplomatic efforts on multiple fronts to that end," he added.

U.S. President Donald Trump earlier claimed Iran had "taken some shots" at the HMM vessel and other targets, but the Iranian Embassy in Seoul has stressed that Tehran "firmly and categorically" denies any involvement by its military in the incident.

Following Seoul's announcement of its initial findings, Iran has not issued any additional statement.

On Sunday, Foreign Minister Cho Hyun held phone talks with his Iranian counterpart, Abbas Araghchi, and urged Tehran to clarify its position regarding the case. In response, Araghchi shared Iran's position on the current situation in the Middle East and agreed on the need to restore safe passage in the crucial waterway, the ministry has said.

A total of 26 South Korea-operated vessels, including the HMM Namu, remain stranded near the Strait of Hormuz, as Iran has effectively shut the crucial chokepoint since late February when the U.S.-Iran war broke out.

(END)

[ⓒ K-VIBE. 무단전재-재배포 금지]