송상호
| 2026-05-24 09:05:35
Trump-Iran negotiation
Trump says peace agreement with Iran has been 'largely' negotiated
By Song Sang-ho
WASHINGTON, May 23 (Yonhap) -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Saturday that a peace agreement with Iran has been "largely" negotiated, subject to "finalization," noting that the Strait of Hormuz will be reopened as part of the deal with the Islamic Republic.
Trump made the remarks in a social media post, saying that final details of the deal are under discussion and will be announced "shortly."
"An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed," he wrote on Truth Social.
"Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened," he added.
His announcement came after he had what he called a "very good" call with the leaders and senior officials of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain regarding Iran and things related to a memorandum of understanding on peace with Tehran.
He also had a call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Trump's social media post came as his administration has been ramping up pressure on Iran to reach a peace deal, raising the possibility that a bombing campaign against the Middle East country could resume.
In an interview with Axios earlier in the day, Trump said that it was a "solid 50-50" as to whether he would be able to make a "good" deal with Iran or else "blow them to kingdom come."
On Monday, Trump announced a decision to hold off on an attack on Iran, planned for Tuesday, warning that the U.S. could go ahead with a "full, large-scale" assault on Iran if a deal -- acceptable to the U.S. and countries in the Middle East -- is not reached.
(END)
[ⓒ K-VIBE. 무단전재-재배포 금지]