연합뉴스
| yna@yna.co.kr 2026-05-21 13:56:58
SEOUL, May 21 (Yonhap) -- The fallout from the historical distortion controversy surrounding the MBC drama "Perfect Crown" continues to grow, with the possibility now being raised that state production funding for the series could be reclaimed.
Lead actors IU and Byeon Woo-seok, along with director Park Joon-hwa and writer Yoo Ji-won, have all issued public apologies over the controversy.
The drama had been selected as one of the final recipients of the 2025 over-the-top (OTT) specialized content production support program operated by the Korea Creative Content Agency, or KOCCA.
According to the agency's public announcement, KOCCA allocated a total of 7.5 billion won (US$5.4 million) to support seven drama and non-drama projects intended for domestic and overseas OTT platforms.
"Perfect Crown" was selected in the feature-length drama category alongside tvN's "Second Signal" and received production funding. Although the exact amount was not disclosed, feature-length drama projects were eligible for support of up to 2 billion won.
KOCCA said the drama received the full amount of funding in two separate payments.
The agency has yet to conduct its final performance evaluation, which determines whether a project has been successfully completed, though the review is scheduled to take place later this month.
Under Article 55 of KOCCA's content support project management regulations, recipients that fail the final evaluation must return the full amount of support funds, along with accrued interest, within 30 days.
The final evaluation is based on the completed drama and the accompanying project report. If KOCCA determines that "Perfect Crown" failed the review, the production company could be required to return the funding.
Following allegations that the drama distorted Korean history, a series of information disclosure requests have been filed with KOCCA seeking details about how the project was selected for funding and how it will be evaluated.
A KOCCA official said nothing has yet been decided and that the agency is reviewing the matter comprehensively to determine which regulations should apply.
The controversy erupted after Episode 11, which aired May 15 ahead of the drama's finale the following day, depicted Grand Prince Ian wearing a nine-string royal crown traditionally associated with vassal states during his coronation ceremony, instead of the 12-string crown historically used by emperors of sovereign states. Court officials in the scene also shouted "Cheonse," a term associated with tributary states, instead of "Manse," which symbolizes sovereignty.
Critics argued the portrayal could provide grounds for China's controversial Northeast Project narrative regarding Korean history.
Director Park Joon-hwa tearfully apologized in an interview, saying there was "no excuse" and offering his sincere apology to viewers.
The production team has since revised the audio and subtitles for reruns as well as versions released on OTT platforms Wavve and Disney+.
[ⓒ K-VIBE. 무단전재-재배포 금지]